Follow

There were some recent posts about causes of dementia.
From an article in Zoomer - A new study suggests that 14 modifiable risk factors could potentially reduce the prevalence of dementia by 45 per cent worldwide.https://everythingzoomer.com/health/2024/08/28/new-study-says-these-14-dementia-risk-factors-are-preventable-and-addressing-them-could-cut-worldwide-cases-nearly-in-half/
and
Dementia prevention, intervention, and care: 2024 report of the Lancet standing Commission
In short, this is some of what you can do to help prevent dementia -
In early life, improve general education (moot point for us but they are looking at world wide measures.)
In midlife, address hearing loss, high LDL cholesterol, depression, traumatic brain injury, physical inactivity, diabetes, smoking, hypertension, obesity and excessive alcohol.
In later life, reduce social isolation, air pollution and vision loss.
Maintaining the health of your blood vessels is a major part of this.
Probably all of us can do some things to reduce the risk. Of course there are no guarantees and dementia can strike people who are .healthy and have great lifestyles. Same as cancer which can strike people who don't have the risk factors. My dd is one example.
But for me it is a comfort to know that there are some things I can do to improve my chances of staying healthy - and that's all it is - improving chances.
How about you?

Oh Ana. You are social, on here anyway. Isn't online the new mode of being social?

I know there are many examples of healthy people getting dementia. But there are many more of people with these health issues getting dementia.

Back in the day we all knew people who smoked like chimneys and didn't get lung cancer. But there were many more who did and the link was eventually proven.

They quote risk factors, not certainties. I don't think you are doomed. You have some great genes from your mum. They have to count too.

My mother was very healthy and treated for high blood pressure. But periodically, when she got upset, (which was quite often) her BP skyrocketed. I am convinced that that was what caused her vascular dementia. It didn't show up till she was over 95, and was not formally diagnosed till she was about 100. My life lesson from that is to stay calm.

Regardless it is good to embrace the day and smell the roses.🌹
(0)

Good for you, cxmoody. Some of what they suggest is quite doable, if we are prepared to make changes.

Your mum has big risk factors. Wishing you success in avoiding them.

Time will tell for all of us. ⏳
(0)

My mother - 99 with advanced dementia but in excellent physical health - has been on meds for depression (30+ years) and high LDL cholesterol (40+ years). Healthy weight. Was social. Walked daily until 95.

As a fat hermit who’s had a few concussions, I’m doomed. Guess I’d better more thoroughly embrace each day before my brain wanders off.
(1)

Thanks, Golden.

My mom, who has been in Memory Care for almost 4 years, was extremely socially isolated, depressed, overweight, and physically inactive.

I've been trying to make sure that I don't have any of these risk factors. We shall see how it pans out! ◡̈
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter