Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
By the way, no one helped me.....the closest I got to that was sarcastic remarks from people, such as: (from mother) "how's that drinking problem of yours?" (from a relative) "well that's great that you quit, if that's the real truth" (from a bartender at a wedding) "club soda? boy you like to live dangerously, don't you?" (from a waitress during a lunch for my birthday) "iced tea? can't you have something more adventurous to drink on your birthday for heaven's sake?"
Lesson from this: there are always those out there willing to knock you back down.
The saddest thing I heard when I quit was that a family of my relatives was having a weekly dinner - and - gasp!! - discussing how I had quit. Their son said: "anyone want to place a bet that she can't make it and starts up again?" That one was devastating to me......I had been quite close to this young man, but, instead of letting it drag me down, it just spurred me on and made me more determined to keep going......and I did. so THERE!! LOL
(3)

Last night I gave myself a hand treatment and manicure, (just nail polish and top coat), so that I would not pick today. So far I haven't, but my nose is driving me crazy, LOL!
(1)

Do I have to call the ENT Doc for you? HMM?! xo
(3)

Picking her nose isn't so bad. If my mother gets a scrape she picks at it until blood is running and infection has set in. The wound center in our area knows me by sight. Recently she picked at a place until it became infection and grew an ugly tumor. It had to be removed and now I'm trying to keep her from pulling out the stitches. Doctors say it is common for Alzheimer patients to do this. We have tried everything and finally gave up and just keep it clean, put Neosporin on it and pray.
(3)

Sometimes at night I put a heavy layer of Neutrogena's Norwegian Hand Cream on, and then wear some very pretty flowered cotton gloves. Maybe gloves are the answer?
(1)

You don't say if your mother has dementia, but I assume she has since you are on this site. It sounds like a "tick" dementia patients get similar to "pill-rolling" where they constantly roll a "pill" between their fingers. Of course there is no pill, but in their mind it is calming and with your mother it might be the same kind of tick. Unless she is causing a scab to form, and you keep her fingers clean, let her do it, it gives her something to do. We all "preen" ourselves just like our pets do. Don't be too alarmed with things that cannot be explained by a competent individual. The brain is so complex, man just doesn't know too much about it. Hang in there!
(2)

There may be a cause of irritation going on here, even at a subconscious level. Don't automatically dismiss it as a psychological issue, though that may be causing them to focus on the irritation.

What I did with my dad and quite a few others is to get them going with a Neilmed bottle and solution. It's available at Walmart and pretty cheap. This is a saline rinse for the nose, will remove pollen, debris, dirt, and mucous in the nasal areas. It soothes the tissues, hydrates the mucous membranes, and cleans out the area where the sinus meet the nasal area. You might be very surprised what goes on up there. If your nose is the filter for your air, doesn't it make sense to clean out the filter daily?

BTW, I got started with this myself after about 2 years of chronic sinus infection and congestion, severe seasonal allergies, and being unable to get a decent night sleep because of congestion and snoring. It took about 2-3 weeks to get back to normal, but I felt the difference right away.

It's the same principle as a netti pot, but far more effective. A little tough to get used to at first, but no big deal after a week, and now I look forward to it. Besides $12 and all the nasal irritation, what do you have to lose?
(0)

I went to check out the NeilMed for myself and found this warning, so it may not be the right answer for everyone's parents.

"We strongly advise against the use of our kit on children or adults who have physical limitations or mental disabilities due to developmental or acquired disorders. Adults should read the directions first before using it on their children. Keep out of reach of children. Do not swallow the solution; however, if you do so accidentally, there is no harm as the amount of sodium ingested in one swallow is insignificant.
Patients who are unable to stand up or bend near the sink SHOULD NOT use this product. We advise you NOT to use this kit on patients who are bed bound or severely debilitated."
(0)

Well.... yeah! Some people can’t take pills either. Nothing is a one size fits all solution.

However, it worked for my dad right up until he collapsed and two weeks before he died from Alzheimer’s and it works for my 2 yr old grandson. I prefer common sense over dire WARNINGS written by lawyers. Use it if you want, don’t use it of you don’t. It was just a suggestion.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter