Follow
Read More
Just to elaborate on what way said. Many many times a person may go in the ER that is being abused and may not say anything. Then one day they may of just had enough, and being asked my just bring that to a head, that was much needed. Or it could also be one doctor that ask the question that the person being abused may for some reason trust more than another ER doc. It could be an eye contact or a look or even a smell that makes the abused open up to that person. So yes I think it should be asked often .

As for being asked about mental health, isn't mental health a big part of physical health? I think mental health is physical health in my opinion. How many people that are over stressed get cancer? Many!
And why is a chemical imbalance not physical. We have heart health, gut health, those are physical, so why is mental health not considered physical health? It's part of are body and are body all works in unison.
(1)

I am a rather physically fix healthy 60 year old, with horrible anxiety at this point in my life.

Would it benefit my health to go on meds be over prescribed them, to be lazy and gain 20 lbs, most likely not.

Would it benefit me to not be on anxiety meds and not be able to eat, untill I get so thin I'm it affects my health, most likely not.

So we all just do the best that we can do. That's all any of us can do
(1)

I do agree that going on an antidepressant and gaining 20 IBs sucked. Having said that Paxil really helped me when I was taking it in my early thirties. The reason the weight gain bothered me was really a vanity thing for me. I had always been slim and wanted to stay that way. So I chose physical beauty over mental wellbeing. In retrospect would I do the same today? Not sure. If I had kept taking Paxil I suspect I would have kept gaining and would be physically unhealthy today.

Anxiety can be debilitating. I've had some really dark days. I lean on my faith a lot. God is the great Healer. But I don't think it's un-Christian-like to seek outside help in the form of antidepressants. I would never talk someone out of something that may change their life for the better.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter