Follow

This about me, not mom.I have been tapering off one med to switch to another one in a different class. My problem isn't a problem because I feel better. Hesitant to start new drug. The kicker was when the younger pharmacy dr said 'we' can try it and see if it makes you feel better.I know the subject of anti depressants have come up before but wanted to get input again.I told the techs I feel better and clearer but they want me to still try the other drug.

I do agree that going on an antidepressant and gaining 20 IBs sucked. Having said that Paxil really helped me when I was taking it in my early thirties. The reason the weight gain bothered me was really a vanity thing for me. I had always been slim and wanted to stay that way. So I chose physical beauty over mental wellbeing. In retrospect would I do the same today? Not sure. If I had kept taking Paxil I suspect I would have kept gaining and would be physically unhealthy today.

Anxiety can be debilitating. I've had some really dark days. I lean on my faith a lot. God is the great Healer. But I don't think it's un-Christian-like to seek outside help in the form of antidepressants. I would never talk someone out of something that may change their life for the better.
(2)

I am a rather physically fix healthy 60 year old, with horrible anxiety at this point in my life.

Would it benefit my health to go on meds be over prescribed them, to be lazy and gain 20 lbs, most likely not.

Would it benefit me to not be on anxiety meds and not be able to eat, untill I get so thin I'm it affects my health, most likely not.

So we all just do the best that we can do. That's all any of us can do
(1)

Just to elaborate on what way said. Many many times a person may go in the ER that is being abused and may not say anything. Then one day they may of just had enough, and being asked my just bring that to a head, that was much needed. Or it could also be one doctor that ask the question that the person being abused may for some reason trust more than another ER doc. It could be an eye contact or a look or even a smell that makes the abused open up to that person. So yes I think it should be asked often .

As for being asked about mental health, isn't mental health a big part of physical health? I think mental health is physical health in my opinion. How many people that are over stressed get cancer? Many!
And why is a chemical imbalance not physical. We have heart health, gut health, those are physical, so why is mental health not considered physical health? It's part of are body and are body all works in unison.
(1)

@Margaret,

I look at it this way. I don’t know what the rate of domestic violence is , but I don’t think it matters. Domestic violence can happen to anyone and is very often hidden , and can be lethal . I think that’s enough of a reason to ask . The abused often need to be encouraged to speak up .

I think if you are going to ask any , you have to ask everyone , otherwise assumptions are made that it only happens to certain people , and that’s just not the case .

As far as depression , there is a lot of it in the US right now since Covid and the political divide the past 8 years , with no end in sight . These issues have caused loss of family and friends either by death or division . Then you add caregiving on top of it . I’m not surprised to read what’s on this thread . I’m actually surprised that you are surprised by it . I don’t see years of these issues any less distressing than a house burning down .

Also social media has been a big problem especially for younger people for at least the last 15 years . I first hand , while working as a school nurse , saw the widespread negative impact social media has on teens . We have an entire generation now always comparing themselves to others , causing some to believe that others’ lives are better because of everyone’s business being displayed in images daily . All the selfies , “ look at me and what I’m doing “ is quite ridiculous and at teen level is often done to make others feel less than.
Excessive posting of selfies is also often done to convince others as well as themselves that they are happy . Before social media you didn’t know what everyone you ever knew was doing all the time . These kids have access to see many people’s business that they normally would know nothing about anymore once they left high school or college . They aren’t friends it’s just competition . And yes it causes depression in too many .

Depression causes a lot of problems for people and it effects others around them . It also effects economics too due to loss of days at work , low performance at work . And some resort to suicide .

But even if we were living in better times and depression rates were low , I believe asking about mental health is a good way to help mitigate stigma around it that prevents people from seeking help and instead suffer.

You said you would tell your doctor it’s none of his business . This is what is trying to be changed. That mindset that you don’t ask or talk about mental health, or care to ask if someone is suffering in silence with depression or abuse .

I think a doctor asking if someone is ok , is ok to do . I don’t think it’s butting into someone’s business. I don’t think any particular rate of incidence is needed to justify asking a question . Asking these questions may save someone from death by suicide or at the hands of an abuser . I don’t see it as any different than the doctor asking me if I ever have chest pain or shortness of breath to try to head off a heart attack.
I wonder if you feel it offensive if the doctor asks if you drink or smoke . That is routinely asked as well , if the answer is yes , they ask how much. I’m sure some don’t like this question asked either and believe it’s none of docs business. But the doc needs to know as much as possible to help diagnose issues . They also ask questions to give relevant feedback in an effort to educate the patient .
(1)

Way you said “I don’t think asking a question assumes anything”. What I was thinking was it must be assumed to be common enough to justify asking everyone. Not that it assumes the answer in any one case.
(0)

@ Margaret .,

In general antidepressants are not “ treated as sleep medication “ .
People with depression and/or anxiety can experience nighttime insomnia . Treat the depression that causes insomnia , people sleep better as a result .

I do know of one antidepressant that is sometimes used in very small dose as a sleeping med for elderly who can fall asleep but have trouble staying asleep at least 1/2 way through the night. It’s not even a high enough dose to treat depression. But the side effect is fleeting drowsiness for this particular drug , so it helps them sleep , without daytime grogginess . It’s much safer than giving these elderly some other drugs for sleep .
(0)

I don’t think asking a question assumes anything. It’s a screening question asked to all . Encouraging discussion for those that need help , who may not bring it up on their own . It might save someone .

I think the thought process is that , some people try to hide it , including try to act as if everything is fine with mood or safety at home . If asked directly, some would drop the act and be honest .

I don’t think it’s always easy for a doctor to pick up on these things in a 15 minute visit relying on body language especially if the patient is not reporting any symptoms .

Asking everyone instead of only certain people also takes away the
“ why is the doctor asking ME that ?”
(1)

I'm wondering if antidepressants are treated as sleep medication, as people are mentioning them helping sleep.
(0)

Yes of course I can see the point, but to ask everyone 'if they feel safe at home' assumes a fairly high level of domestic violence. That's what surprises me. I'd expect the 'depression' question to result from body language and other symptoms, rather than that being universal as well.
(0)

@margaret,

Asking if someone feels safe at home is giving the opportunity for an abused person to get help. I think there is value in that question. It was originally only being asked to women . Then they started asking both men and women. In fact that question has been asked for more years than the question about depression .
(2)

Way, my GP more or less says "How are you going?", as the query about mood. If he asked about whether I'm depressed and if I feel safe at home, I'd probably tell him to mind his own business! These differences are quite surprising.
(0)

This is an interesting conversation since as I said I'm currently taking mirtazipine. It helps me sleep and helped me with my appetite after I had taken a course of antibiotics which did a number on my gut but really hasn't helped with my anxiety or depression.

I was on Paxil in my early thirties. It was great but I gained 20 Ibs which I didn't like. Then when I was in my mid fifties in the midst of caregiving I took Effexor which I really felt helped but it gave me phlegm which kept me up every night so I had to discontinue it.

Then I tried Prozac which made my mind race and made me cough. I took citalopram. Took it for 4 days and it caused dysphasia which was pretty scary.

So now I just don't know what to do. My doctor is very suggestive and I almost have to do my own research and tell him and he'll just prescribe it.

I, like many on here have to take the lowest dose of anything.

I have been considering Zoloft.
(0)

@ Margaret .
Your primary doesn’t ask about your mood ever ? I thought that was pretty standard now .

My primary always asks if I’m depressed , and if I feel safe at home. The computer prompts her to ask everyone those questions each visit . She has to answer them on the list of questions she has to address each visit , that are built into the system by the health network that is part of our large hospital , that my primary works under . She’s been asking those questions for years .
(0)

I don't disagree Margaret, Im glad they are there and and understand the need for them but I think a lot should be temporary.

Speaking of fires , lol I went on antidepressants when my 15 year old accidentally burnt a whole abandoned mill down. Still the biggest fire in my country. Had reporters stalking me, calling, saying things in the news that were not true.

So heck yeah that's an antidepressants time. 😂.

But I will say when I stopped the antidepressants, I never really delt with the pain of that period of my life. When I went off them I still had them deal with it. It was easier of course, but still painful
(0)

I’m really surprised to find that so many people of our age are taking anti-depressants, often more or less permanently, and that doctors are not keen on attempts to quit. I can't remember any serious checks before I was originally prescribed them, or any questions about whether the original problems (the house burning down - pretty obvious) had resolved. ???
(1)

Madison same here, if I take none drowsy cold meds, I'm buzzing for 2 days.

Excedrin makes me higher than a kite.

Most doctors don't seem to get it
(1)

IMO if what you are on/were on is working, I’d stick with it.

In my case I’m super sensitive to meds, used to think I was crazy until I found out an aunt of mine couldn’t even take adult Tylenol. I’ve had some really bad experiences with meds. I tell the docs this and even then I often don’t take a full dose with medication to start with, unless it’s tried and true for me like an antibiotic.

The one antidepressant that worked for me was Prozac, did a couple of stints on that. Now I’m on mild HRT which is a game changer!

Everyone is different - like people here say, trust your gut and if your med is working well, keep it. Good luck!
(0)

If I was planning on being on them for a longer period of time, or if I decide that I'm going to need them longer, when the stress in my life is better. I will talk to my doctor and discuss a change in meds
(0)

Anxietynacy, I hear you. thank you for sharing.
(1)

RB, I'm taking a half of Zoloft, prescribed to take a whole. Half is working for me, at this time , even with half I feel a bit , like my head is in the clouds.

Honestly I don't tell the doctor because I expect they will want to change it.

Right now with what I'm going through I need it but if I try to take a whole one for a few days I'm just a zombie.

Everyone is different, I know for me pills effect me much stronger than most. If I take a muscle relaxer I can hardly pick my head of the bed. Others can take one and go about there life.

Some would disagree with me on not doing what the doctors say, but this is my body and I know whats best.

I don't plan on being on them forever, just trying to get me though things I'm going through.

That's my story. Hope it helps
(2)

Happy Birthday Riverdale! and thank you for your thoughts. I took no offense.
(0)

I certainly understand that MargaretMcKen. I was tapering off of what I'm on now and told them in the pharmacy I felt better just at this level and suddenly they are telling me I should stay on what we planned. I was under a dr's order. I was the one who initiated it because I was under so much stress from my dealing with Mom and all that has gone on since my brother passed away last year.
I went and did a swab to see if they could match me up with a different drug so I wouldn't have to do the let's try this or that. BUT it turns out that is what's happening.
I don't like some of the more serious side effects that 'could' effect my lungs and as said before I told them I felt fine, now.
I am calling the Dr. today and tell her I don't want to try the other anti depressant. It seems to me when you tell someone, hey I feel fine at this lower dose, let's not continue to do something different that they would be glad.
Btw the change would mean going from a SSRI to a SNRI. and yes Anxietynacy, I agree it does and you have to be careful with that.
(1)

I was on an anti-depressant for nearly 10 years after our house burned down. Midway through, the doctor swapped me to a different one, but was not keen on taking me off anything. I eventually decided that I wanted to quit and see how I went. I quit quickly, which is not what they recommend, and had three days that were not good. It didn’t last all that long.

I’ve been off now for a year or so, and honestly I feel no different. Just glad not to say I’m on anti-depressants.
(1)

I did try Pristiq some years ago and liked it but it was not covered by my insurance and at least then did not have a generic version so it was very costly.
(0)

Just offering my personal experience. I liked the way Wellbutrin made me feel but I have sleep and pain issues at 68 tomorrow so I am on Cymbalta which is good for aging chronic pain so I feel I will always stay on that.

It would be helpful to identify your most significant issues and hopefully pair with an antidepressant that might meet those issues.

I realize I may be sounding simplistic and I certainly do not mean to offend you if you have already researched all of this. Hoping you find the relief you need.
(0)

If what you are doing now is working ,
Leave it alone .
Don’t fix what is not broken .
(3)

Regarding side effects (because this is rightly a concern for anyone taking any medication):

When a pharma company runs clinical trials on their product, they must report any and all effects noted by the study participants. One problem with this is that this is a very subjective opinion. Much sicker (and older) participants can have many other unrelated health issues that may show up as a "side effect". There is no saying if what the participant is experiencing is a result of the trial med or something else. Corrolation is not causation. But it has to be listed.

Another problem is if they have a participant who is mentally unstable. This happens more than people think. Freakonimics did an excellenet podcast about this several years ago. I once heard a side effect (on a tv commercial for a drug) that said it can cause your eye color to change.

Lastly, pharma companies sometimes try to manipulate the outcome of the trials by selecting either healthier subjects or really sick ones to give the trials favorable results.

I'm certainly not saying to ignore the side effects warnings, but sometimes the worry that you will experience any (low risk) one of them might prevent you from using a med that will be helpful to you.

Sorry to bore you with this info but I'm hoping it's helpful as you make decisions.

I wish you success in finding the right medication for you!
(1)

I totally agree with funky grandma, 100 percent, I also want to add, that I'm wondering how good is it for someone to be switching from one med to another, to find the perfect one, doesn't that mess up your brain chemistry, and in short term make things worse?

I'm not sure maybe others have a thought on that
(0)

You and you alone have the final say as to what you will or will not take as far as any medications.
If you're feeling better at the lower dose of your initial medication, then just tell your doctor that you are choosing instead to stay on this lower dose, instead of trying the new one that you seem to be hesitant about.
Trust your instincts.
In this day and age we all have to be our own advocates, and can't be afraid to speak up.
(6)

Rbuser1,
Did you research Celexa (Brand name withdrawn?) and Citalopram recently, and the controversy associated with the drug?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter